A Pedagogue's Progress
Tuesday, May 15, 2007
 
Ugh...back to NIE

I'm back in NIE for the next couple of weeks, and was reminded today why I hate that sorry excuse for an institution of higher learning and can't wait to leave it. We had a Civics and Moral Education (CME) workshop in the afternoon for three hours conducted by some random MOE pod person. I had been prepared to wisecrack my way through it, but after half an hour or so I lost all patience and made a beeline for my tutor's office to gripe about life.

There's only so much condescension I can take. I'm in my mid-20s and university-educated. I don't appreciate being spoken to or treated as if I were a little kid -- which is precisely what the MOE minion did. We did a collage using scissors, glue, postcards, and fashion magazines -- primary school art class, anyone? We were organised into groups based on actions ("swim," "dance," etc.) written on little slips of paper that we had to perform. She had this...this rattle or buzzer which she used to signal the end of an activity. And, to top things off, she had this green card which she said she'd use to eject recalcitrant students from the class. I asked her for it immediately, but she wasn't willing to play along. Ah, that famous MOE sense of humour again. It was then that I decided to take my leave and seek refuge elsewhere.

Hell is other people, as Sartre once said.


Comments:

hmmmmm,

are we in the same group/classroom, or all they (moe personals) all use the same techniques?

 
I suspect they're all zombified clones of each other.

 
Post a Comment