A Pedagogue's Progress
Sunday, December 02, 2007
 
Bioshock and nostalgia

After picking up a GeForce 8800GT and a new set of speakers (the first in 8 years, believe it or not!), I downloaded Bioshock off Steam and am slowly working my way through it. Another amazingly beautiful game, but in very different ways: Crysis is all about beaches and tropical vegetation; Bioshock is Art Deco, corridors, mood lighting. About the only thing they have in common is superlative water effects. Crysis has a so-so plot straight out of a Jerry Bruckheimer blockbuster; Bioshock channels Ayn Rand and the dystopian literary tradition.

I was at my secondary school's ten-year reunion last night. Ten years! And still they all look the same. Which is fine: but they seem to think and behave the same way too, slipping back into their old roles with ease. I exchanged cursory greetings with most of them and had extended conversations with a few, including B and I, whom I had drinks with afterwards. As I told the organisers (including Ben, whom I should catch up with) afterwards, I probably won't be around for the reunions in five and ten years time. If I am around in 2012 and 2017, it'll either be because I'm back here on holiday, or because something has gone wrong with my career plans.


Comments:

I recommend Team Fortress 2. Clocked about 130 hours in 2 weeks and counting. =)

 
Post a Comment